I’m looking forward to training tomorrow. I’ve been trying to eat better so that I have energy and stamina for class!
Trying to plan recipes for the week, we found this one.
But of course, I couldn’t leave it alone and made a few revisions. I had a few slices of prosciutto left over and I wanted to use them. So I did.. and I added some peas to offset the badness.
Here is my version of Pasta with Chickpeas.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells (about 6 ounce)
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 slices of prosciutto, rolled and rough chopped (use scissors: trust me)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped garlic, saute 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, chickpeas and broth, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
While garlic mixture simmers, cook pasta in boiling water 9 minutes, drain well.
Place chickpea mixture in a food processor and process until smooth. It will be thick. Don’t Panic.
In the same skillet, saute proscuitto until mostly crispy. Toss in halved tomatoes, lemon juice and parsley. Saute 1 minute. Add sauce. Add either more broth or water to thin to desired consistnecy. Add frozen peas and heat through.
Serve topped with cheese.