I adapted this recipe from the Food Network Kitchen to create a healthier “healthy muffin”. Mine has 100% whole wheat flour, no processed sugar and a smidge less fat.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 medium carrots, grated
- 8 ounce canned crushed pineapple with juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners
- Whisk together the flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat eggs slightly.
- Beat in vegetable oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Dump in carrots and pineapple and mix until just combined.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. (I have no idea if you have to do this or not. I did it because I know it helps lighten up my corn muffins before baking. It kind of gives the baking powder a few minutes to start fizzing)
- Full muffin cups. These don’t raise a lot so go ahead and full those cups up!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning once 1/2 way through. Muffins are done when they spring back when touched or when a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!