I have had a bulb of fennel in my fridge since I cut the fronds off to make Gravlax. I have been trying to think of something to do with it for a while.
So I got this idea. I would roast it with some other stuff and puree it. You know… Just toss some stuff together and hope for the best. Honestly, the last time I tried that I got some curried broccoli soup that neither of us ate..
Because it sucked.
This time I decided to use an entire head of garlic.
This soup does not suck. In fact it’s pretty fucking awesome.
So awesome that I took a bazillion pictures so instead of just posting all the pics, I am giving you a video of all the pics. With music.. punk like music.. because this soup rocks that hard.
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- 1 celery root (about a pound)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line two sheet pans with aluminum foil
- Cut the fronds off the fennel and cut into wedges
- Cut the cauliflower into florets
- Peel and cube the celery root
- Cut the top off the garlic
- Spread the veggies out over the sheet pans and drizzle with olive oil. Toss with your hands to coat. Make sure you get a good amount on that garlic head. Salt and pepper the veggies
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Stir the veggies and flip the garlic head over. Roast for 15 more minutes.
- Smoosh the garlic out of it's skin. It should slide right out.
- Put all the veggies in a stock pot and cover with the chicken stock and a quart of water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until all the veggies are tender.
- Puree your soup, season with additional salt and pepper and enjoy!