Gluten Free Falafel
- 1 lb dried chickpeas
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 7 - 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ to ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Soak dried chickpeas overnight in cold water. Cover with at least 2 inches of water
- Drain chickpeas and pulse in a food processor until ground but not pureed. You will need to do this in batches. Put ground chickpeas in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the parsley and cilantro in the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Add to the chickpeas.
- Cut the onion into large chunks and put it and the garlic in your food processor. Process until pureed and add to chickpea mixture.
- Add the cumin and baking powder and salt to the mix and combine.
- Add enough chickpea flour to the mix so that the mixture will hold together. I needed ½ cup, but you may need more or less.
- Refrigerate for at lease a few hours. I chilled mine for about 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with spray oil or line with parchment paper.
- Form a little more than a tablespoon of the mixture into balls and then flatten into patties about ½ inch thick.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stopping ½ way through to flip the patties over.
Recipe by Pirate Jeni at http://www.piratejeni.com/2011/04/17/gluten-free-falafel/