Knock Yer Socks Off Grain Free Granola Bars
Serves: 16 bars
- ½ cup almonds
- 1½ cups walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
- Line a glass 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper, with the paper going up the sides
- Put the nuts in a dry skillet over low heat and toast them, shaking the pan once in a while so they don't burn (if toasting nuts worries you, skip it)
- Roughly chop the nuts and put in a heat safe bowl
- Stir in the coconut, seeds, raisins and cinnamon
- Melt the butter and honey over heat (I used the same skillet that I toasted the nuts in)
- Heat until the mixture bubbles and cook for about 30 seconds
- Stir the vanilla into the honey mixture
- Pour the honey mixture over the nut mixture and stir to coat
- Dump the mix into your baking dish. Lay another sheet of parchment over the top and smash it down tight. Get the mix as flat and compacted as you can. Take the top layer of parchment off
- Bake in the over for 30 minutes, turning once ½ way through if your oven has hot spots.
- Let cool completely before turning out onto a cutting board.
- Cut into 16 portions.
The original recipe had ½ cup of honey.. this was too much. Using only ¼ cup of honey sticks everything togther and you dont' have to wrap these individually.
Recipe by Pirate Jeni at http://www.piratejeni.com/2012/03/03/gluten-free-granola-bars/