Rose Petal Jelly
- 1 quart jar of fresh, fragrant rose petals
- 4 cups water, just off the boil
- 1 package dry pectin (like Sure-Jell)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- Prepare your boiling water canner and 10½ pint jars or 5 pint jars
- Rinse the rose petals in cool water very gently and put into a quart mason jar
- Pour the water over the rose petals just to the top of the jar and cover with a plate or something to keep the heat in but still allow steam to escape.
- Let steep for 20 minutes
- Measure out three cups of infusion and put into a saucepan on the stove. (Just add water if you are shy of three cups)
- Stir in pectin and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over high heat
- Add the sugar and bring back to a boil. The sugar may clump up when it hits the pectin. Just get out your whisk and gently bring it all together. Don't whisk to hard or you will create a lot of foam.
- Boil hard for one minute.
- Turn down the heat to low and skim foam (I hate this step)
- Pour into jars and allow ¼ inch headspace.
- Process for 10 minutes in the boiling water canner.
Recipe by Pirate Jeni at http://www.piratejeni.com/2012/06/04/a-rose-by-any-other-name/