- 3 -4 lbs of bottom round roast
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups dry red wine
- ½ cup water
- Onion and pepper slices sauteed for serving
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Combine the thyme, oregano and salt and rub into the meat.
- Put the meat in a roasting pan on a rack.
- Slice the onion and smash and peel the garlic and toss into the roasting pan
- Pour the wine and water into the bottom of the pan
- Cover and roast in the over for 4-5 hours. About ½ way through, I flipped the beef and took the rack out of the pan so the beef sat in the pan juices.
- Remove from the oven and slice the beef against the grain.
- Dunk the meat slices back the pan juice for serving
You can keep the beef slices warm in the pan juices in the oven until you are ready to eat. Make sure you soak your bread with the pan juices. Dunk that sucker.
Recipe by Pirate Jeni at http://www.piratejeni.com/2014/08/06/chicago-the-great-depression-and-italian-beef/