This recipe for Texas Caviar was shared by Brie in the South Beach Diet group on Ravelry. Since not everyone can get on Ravelry, I posted the recipe here with Brie’s permission. This is Brie's original recipe. I will confess to making this with two 15 ounce cans of black eyed peas.
- 1 pound dried black eyed peas
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup corn oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion (Vidalia, Texas 1015)
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked if you can)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I like more)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Combine the peas, stock and bay leaf in a large saucepan, and bring them to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the peas until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add more hot water to the peas if they begin to seem dry. Stir only occasionally and avoid mashing the peas. When soft but not mushy, drain the peas.
- Transfer the peas to a large bowl and toss gently with the remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.